Monday, April 11, 2011

A POEM: One Mouse, Three Cats, and A Very Freaked Out Girl

This Poem stars the following 3 cats!
Onyx, Bowser, and Bobo


BOWSER















One Mouse, Three Cats,
& A Very Freaked Out Girl

Bowser has a mouse
in his mouth
And both their tails
are wagging madly
Bowser is sounding the alarm
Calling the others
by thumping his tail
hard on the floor
Bobo and Onyx
creep through the door
approaching them with reverence
For they both know
what is whirling and twirling 
flapping
Bowser on the nose
over and over
and over again
ONYX
 
All three are puffed up
and poofed out
Harmonizing their
glottal growls – deep and low
Bobo
has his raccoon tail out
on display
which always means
that he is serious

They are as much in their element
as I am freaking out
Squealing, squeaking, and squawking
as if it were my head
in Bowser’s mouth

BOBO
I grab a bowl from the kitchen
I’ve been here before
I look at Bowser
Bowser looks at the bowl
It’s been years
but we’ve been here before
So I lower my hand
to stroke the back of his head
and with a quick and gentle pop
out drops the mouse
The mouse that is NOT dead
 
Now the mouse is in the bowl
The bowl is in my hand
My hand is freaking out
tossing the bowl
into the air
So out comes the mouse
onto the floor
where we four stand
And just like that – it’s gone
 
Bowser, Bobo, and Onyx,
all three,
in unison
hang their heads,
furrow their brows
and sigh
Bowser – WHY? I had it under control
Bobo – Maybe it will come back?
Onyx – (Sigh) You are such a girl!
They are disappointed in me
I know they are
I can see it in their downcast eyes
and besides
I’m good at picking up on body language
 
They don’t begrudge me long
For the hunt is on
and off they go
beyond the darkened
bedroom door
to score one more
for all of feline kind

I flick on the light to find
Bobo eyeing me modestly
with the very dead mouse
clinched between his teeth
and with the other two
still looking
 
My little 17lb.
belly-rub-lovin’ Bobo
with his
sweet meow
expressive eyes and
sensitive ways
The gentle giant of all cats
I am as proud
as I am grossed out
But really I should not be so surprised
For he did have
his raccoon tail out
on display
which always
means
he is serious

In Loving Memory of my Bobo

2 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful...thank you. Us cat lovers have to deal with the feline hunting instinct...not easy, but I always tell mine that she is a clever girl even if I am horrified at the carnage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this its Great but I too am a cat lover, And my baby Oreo died about 4 years ago and no other has ever took her place

    ReplyDelete